Alabama football players earned a combined four finalist selections during this year’s awards cycle
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The University of Alabama football team had three players selected to four different finalist lists as awards season enters its final cycle before the College Football Awards Show on Thursday, Dec. 9, 2021.
The Crimson Tide’s list of finalists includes Will Anderson Jr. (Bednarik), Jameson Williams (Biletnikoff) and Bryce Young (O’Brien, Maxwell).
Will Anderson Jr.
- The national leader in tackles for loss with 27.5 (-113 yards), a total that ranks second all-time in Alabama single-season records
- Also ranks second in the country in sacks with 13.5 (-79 yards) to rank third in program history for a single season behind only Derrick Thomas who owns the Nos. 1 and 2 spots
- Accumulated 79 total tackles, good for second on UA, while adding a team-high eight quarterback hurries and two pass breakups
- Earned SEC Defensive Player of the Week honors four times in 2021, along with being named the Bednarik Award Defensive Player of the Week on three occasions and picking up Nagurski Trophy Player of the Week honors once
- Was also named a finalist for the Nagurski Trophy on Nov. 17
The Crimson Tide have seen two players take home the Bednarik, first with Jonathan Allen (2016) followed a year later by Minkah Fitzpatrick (2017).
- Leads the Southeastern Conference and is tied for second nationally in receiving touchdowns with 13
- Totaled 1,218 receiving yards to lead the league and rank sixth among Division I wideouts
- Averaging an SEC-best 110.7 receiving yards per game and has eclipsed the 100-yard marker on six occasions this season, including five his last six games
- Recorded nine receptions of 50 yards or more in 2021 with eight of those eight plays resulting in a touchdown
- His career-best, 190-yard performance against then-No. 21/21/22 Arkansas on Nov. 20 helped him jump four spots on Alabama’s single-season receiving yards list, sitting at fifth
- Just the 12th Alabama wideout to go over 1,000 yards in a single season in program history
Alabama has had three winners of the Biletnikoff, including DeVonta Smith (2020), Jerry Jeudy (2018) and Amari Cooper (2014).
Maxwell | O’Brien
- Completing 71.7 percent of his passes (263-367) for 3,584 yards with 38 touchdowns compared to just three interceptions
- Currently is tied for second nationally and first in the Southeastern Conference in passing touchdowns
- Third nationally in passing efficiency (186.2) while ranking tied for second in the country in points responsible for (244)
- Guided the Alabama offense to the No. 2 third-down conversion percentage in the nation (56.4 percent), completing 77.0 percent of his third-down pass attempts (67-87) for 1,028 yards and 11 touchdowns
- Set the record for most passing yards in a single game in Alabama history with 559 last Saturday against then-No. 21/21/22 Arkansas
Alabama has claimed four Maxwell Awards in the past, including DeVonta Smith (2020), Tua Tagovailoa (2018), Derrick Henry (2015) and AJ McCarron (2013). Mac Jones is the Crimson Tide’s lone recipient of the O’Brien, taking home the hardware in 2020 as part of his record-setting final season.