The junior is one of three finalists for the defensive player of the year award
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama’s Will Anderson Jr. was named a finalist for the Bednarik Award, the Maxwell Football Club announced on Tuesday.
The linebacker is one of three finalists and is joined by Cincinnati’s Ivan Pace Jr. and Tuli Tuipulotu of USC. Alabama has had two Bednarik winners in program history, including Minkah Fitzpatrick most recently in 2017, one year removed from Jonathan Allen taking home the honors in 2016.
The Bednarik Award is presented annually to the top defensive player in college football as chosen by the Maxwell Football Club. The 2022 winner will be announced live as part of ESPN’s Home Depot College Football Awards Show on Dec. 8.
Will Anderson Jr., Linebacker
- One the most dominant defenders in all of college football
- The top-rated edge defender by Pro Football Focus
- Leads the SEC and is tied for sixth nationally with 10 sacks (-54 yards)
- Also paces the conference in tackles for loss with 17 (-72 yards), good for seventh in Division I
- Recorded at least half a tackle for loss in 11 games while notching half a sack or better in eight contests during the 2022 campaign
- Totaled 51 tackles overall to go with a team-high 12 quarterback hurries