Malachi Moore and Anderson Jr. earned FWAA First Team Freshman All-America honors
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama true freshman Will Anderson Jr. was selected as the Shaun Alexander-FWAA National Freshman Player of the Year Award, the Football Writers Association of America announced Monday morning.
The association also named Anderson Jr. and Malachi Moore as FWAA First Team Freshman All-Americans. Moore was selected at defensive back while Anderson Jr. got the nod at linebacker.
- Earned the starting role at star for the Tide defense
- Selected to the SEC All-Freshman Team and also picked up second team All-SEC honors at defensive back from the Associated Press and the league coaches
- Led the UA defense with four forced turnovers, including a team-high three interceptions
- Totaled nine passes defensed (three interceptions, six breakups) to rank third in the SEC among all freshman defenders
- Racked up 44 tackles, including four for loss (-8 yards), while adding six pass breakups and two quarterback pressures to his totals
Will Anderson Jr.
- Earned the starting job at jack linebacker during the fall
- Named to the SEC All-Freshman Team and picked up second team All-SEC honors from the AP
- Tied for second in the SEC in sacks with seven (-39 yards) while ranking third in tackles for loss at 10.5 (-52 yards)
- Started every game this season and totaled 52 tackles to go with a forced fumble and a team-high eight quarterback pressures
Shaun Alexander is a former All-Pro running back with the Seattle Seahawks (2000-07) and Washington Football Team (2008) and a former All-SEC player at Alabama (1995-99). He finished a four-year career with the Crimson Tide holding 15 records including 3,565 career rushing yards and most touchdowns (five) in a game. He was drafted by Seattle as the 19th overall pick in the 2000 NFL Draft, and in his second season had a breakout year with 1,318 yards and 14 touchdowns, including a franchise-record 266 yards on 35 carries in a memorable ESPN Sunday Night Football game against Oakland. Today Alexander travels the country speaking and teaching people about the things he is passionate about – his Christian faith, marriage, fatherhood, football, winning, leading and love.