Jones honored as the top college quarterback
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – University of Alabama quarterback Mac Jones was named the winner of the 2020 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Education Foundation announced Monday morning.
Jones joins Tide signal-callers AJ McCarron (2013) and Jay Barker (1994) as the only Alabama players to capture the award.
- One of college football’s top passers, Jones sports an NCAA-leading completion percentage (77.0), 203.3 passer rating and 95.8 QBR
- Totaled 4,036 passing yards to rank second in Division I while averaging 336.8 passing yards per game, good for fourth nationally
- Recorded four of the Crimson Tide’s 10 400-plus yards passing performances in program history, the most by any one quarterback at UA
- Selected First Team All-American by the Associated Press, ESPN.com, Pro Football Focus, The Sporting News and USA Today
- Also a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien, Manning, Maxwell and Walter Camp Player of the Year
The Golden Arm Award is presented annually to the top upperclassman quarterback set to graduate with their class. The award acknowledges performance on the field, but it goes beyond completion percentage and touchdown strikes. The award values character, citizenship, integrity and those who honor the game. This year’s presentation to honor Jones’ achievements will be pre-recorded and released on Thursday, Jan. 7 on the Golden Arm Award social channels and shared by the University of Alabama.