The Crimson Tide has now won 19-straight home openers and 50 of its last 52 in Bryant-Denny Stadium
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The second-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide won its 19th-consecutive home opener with a 52-24 victory over No. 13 Texas A&M on Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium. UA moves to 2-0 on the season, while the Aggies dip to 1-1.
The Tide offense shined, collecting 544 total yards of offense in the win. Redshirt junior quarterback Mac Jones finished 20-of-27 for a career-high 435 yards and four scores. Sophomore John Metchie III led the receivers with a career-best five catches for 181 yards and two touchdowns, while junior Jaylen Waddle added another five receptions for 142 yards and a score. Senior running back Brian Robinson Jr. rushed for a game-high 60 yards on 10 carries, while fellow senior Najee Harris recorded two rushing touchdowns and 43 yards on the ground.
On defense, Alabama forced a pair of turnovers, which included a 47-yard interception return for a touchdown by redshirt junior Daniel Wright and another interception in the end zone for freshman Malachi Moore. Sophomore Christian Harris racked up 10 tackles and a quarterback hurry, while sophomore Jordan Battle added nine tackles and a pass breakup.
How It Happened
- 09:19 – UA | Mac Jones connected with John Metchie III for a 78-yard yard touchdown to get the Crimson Tide on the board first. The drive lasted 1:18 and took three plays to go 80 yards following the missed field goal attempt from Texas A&M.
- 03:58 – UA | Najee Harris capped off a seven-play, 66-yard drive with a six-yard rush to give Alabama its second touchdown of the game. The drive lasted 3:14.
- 01:13 – TAMU | Ainias Smith caught a 47-yard pass from Kellen Mond late in the first for the Aggies. The drive consisted of five plays that went 75 yards over 2:45.
- 14:44 – TAMU | Texas A&M evened the score with a 17-yard touchdown reception from Mond to Ryan Renick. It was the first play of the drive following a 23-yard interception return from DeMarvin Leal.
- 9:07 – UA | Alabama took the lead back as Harris carried the ball in for a two-yard score at the end of a seven-play, 66-yard drive that lasted 2:34.
- 6:19 – UA | Daniel Wright intercepted Mond and returned 47 yards for the score and Alabama’s first non-offensive touchdown of 2020.
- 0:22 – UA | The Tide’s fifth touchdown of the game was scored on a two-yard pass from Jones to DeVonta Smith. The drive was just shy of a minute, lasting 0:59, with eight plays for 64 yards.
- 09:03 – TAMU | Seth Small’s 29-yard field goal completed the 12-play, 40-yard drive for the Aggies that lasted 4:59.
- 7:24 – UA | Jones tossed to Jaylen Waddle for 87 yards and Alabama’s third receiving touchdown of the day. The drive went for 1:39 and consisted of three plays for 75 yards.
- 10:14 – UA | A 27-yard field goal from Will Reichard finished off the Tide’s first drive of the final quarter. The 10-play, 68-yard drive lasted 5:32.
- 07:25 – TAMU | For the second time in the game, Mond connected with Smith, this time for the 14-yard score to end a seven-play, 75-yard drive (2:49).
- 05:33 – UA | Jones once again found Metchie III down field, resulting in a 63-yard touchdown for the final score of the contest. The drive lasted 1:52 and went 75 yards across four plays.
Alabama takes to the road once again, this time traveling to Oxford to take on Ole Miss on Saturday, Oct. 10. The Crimson Tide and Rebels are scheduled for a 5 p.m. CT kickoff at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium with the game airing live on ESPN. The matchup will be the 68th meeting between the two schools with UA holding a 55-10-2 (52-11-2 NCAA) all-time advantage in the series.