The loss snapped a 19-game winning streak dating back to the 2019 season
COLLEGE STATION, Texas. – After falling behind early, the No. 1/1 Alabama football team lost at Texas A&M Saturday night on a last-second field goal, 41-38, at Kyle Field in College Station, Texas, snapping the Crimson Tide’s 19-game winning streak.
Quarterback Bryce Young completed 28-of-48 passes for 369 yards and passed for three touchdowns against the Aggies. Running back Brian Robinson Jr. eclipsed the 100-yard mark for the second-straight game, tallying 147 rushing yards against the Texas A&M defense.
Wide receiver Jameson Williams and Roydell Williams each hauled in touchdown catches at Kyle Field, with Jameson Williams leading all receivers with 146 yards on 10 receptions and two scores. John Metchie III followed with 88 yards on four catches.
Defensive back Brian Branch led the game with a career-high 11 total tackles and a game and career-best eight solo stops and a career-high two tackles for loss. Defensive back DeMarcco Hellams tallied seven total tackles, four solo stops and an interception on the night.
Ja’Corey Brooks blocked a punt in the third quarter which King Mwikuta recovered in the Texas A&M end zone for a touchdown. Placekicker Will Reichard added three field goals from 38, 26 and 22 yards out, respectively. He also tacked on three extra points during the matchup.
- Alabama has scored 30-or-more points in 32-straight games.
- The Tide now holds the record for the longest streak in major college football history of scoring 30-or-more points in a game, after breaking its tie with UCF, which scored 30-or-more points in 31 straight games from 2017-19.
- Alabama recorded its 84th non-offensive touchdown in the Nick Saban era Saturday, when King Mwikuta recovered a blocked punt in the Texas A&M end zone, thanks to Ja’Corey Brooks. It marked Mwikuta’s first career touchdown.
- It marked the Crimson Tide’s fourth non-offensive touchdown of the season and its second blocked punt return for a touchdown behind Jase McClellan’s scoop and score against Mercer on Sept. 11.
- Player Highlights:
- Dallas Turner made his first career start in the evening game at Texas A&M.
- Roydell Williams recorded his first career receiving touchdown, catching a 20-yard pass from Bryce Young on Alabama’s opening drive.
- Alabama’s captains against Texas A&M were linebacker Will Anderson Jr., defensive lineman Phidarian Mathis and wide receiver John Metchie III.
How It Happened
- 11:35 – TAMU | Seth Small kicked a 38-yard field goal for the first points in the game.
- 06:42 – UA | Bryce Young connected with Roydell Williams on a 20-yard touchdown pass on Alabama’s opening drive, which lasted 10 plays for 65 yards.
- 05:26 – TAMU | Zach Calzada responded with 27-yard touchdown pass to Jalen Wydermyer to cap a three-play, 75-yard drive.
- 00:33 – TAMU | Calzada followed with a six-yard touchdown pass, caught by Ainias Smith, concluding a seven-play, 41-yard series.
- 05:44 – UA | Will Reichard connected on a 38-yard field goal.
- 02:09 – TAMU | Isaiah Spiller rushed 15 yards into the Crimson Tide end zone to end a seven-play, 75-yard drive.
- 08:18 – UA | Ja’Corey Brooks blocked Texas A&M’s punt and King Mwikuta recovered the ball in the end zone for his first career touchdown.
- 08:00 – TAMU | Devon Achane responded with a 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.
- 05:30 – UA | Jameson Williams caught a 29-yard touchdown pass from Young, capping a six-play, 75-yard series.
- 04:54 – UA | Reichard made good on a 26-yard boot into the Texas A&M uprights.
- 08:44 – UA | Once again, Reichard connected on a 22-yard field goal.
- 05:00 – UA | For the second time in the game, Young connected with Jameson Williams, this time for a seven-yard touchdown strike, which was followed by Young to Jameson Williams for the 2-point conversion
- 03:00 – TAMU | Calzada found Smith for a 25 yard touchdown to tie the game
- 00:01 – TAMU | With one second left on the clock, Small booted the game winning field goal from 28 yards out