Two selections on offense, three on defense and one on special teams
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama coaching staff selected six players of the week following the Crimson Tide’s 42-3 win over Duke in the 2019 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game last Saturday in Atlanta, Ga. Jerry Jeudy and Tua Tagovailoa on offense; DJ Dale, Anfernee Jennings and Xavier McKinney on defense; and Henry Ruggs III on special teams all earned the recognition from the coaching staff for their standout performances against the Blue Devils.
- Paced all Alabama wideouts with 10 catches for 137 yards with one score
- The 10 receptions were a career-high total for the junior and marked the first 10-catch performance by a Crimson Tide receiver since ArDarius Stewart had 10 catches against Auburn on Nov. 26, 2016.
- The touchdown reception moved Jeudy into a tie for fourth place on the Alabama career list for touchdown catches where he is joined by Henry Ruggs III and DJ Hall (2004-07).
- Accounted for 351 yards of total offense with 336 passing and 15 on the ground
- He finished 26-of-31 for 336 yards and four scores, averaging 12.9 yards per completion.
- Tagovailoa completed a pass to nine different receivers, including five wideouts, two tight ends and two running backs.
- Earned his first career start as a true freshman, finishing with three tackles including half a tackle for loss.
- Made an impact along a Tide defensive front that allowed just 107 rushing yards on 32 carries.
- Tied for second on the Crimson Tide defense with six stops against the Blue Devils
- Provided consistent pressure off the edge and helped the Alabama defense limit Duke to only 97 yards through the air as part of a 12-for-22 effort with two interceptions by Tide defensive backs.
- Led all Alabama defenders with eight tackles from his starting safety spot
- The eight stops were a new career-high mark for the junior, passing his previous high of seven which he had accomplished on three occasions, most recently against Clemson in the 2019 College Football Playoff National Championship Game.
- Directed a Tide defense that forced three turnovers and limited Duke to only 204 yards of total offense
Henry Ruggs III
- Started at kick returner for the Crimson Tide, totaling 22 yards on his return to begin the day’s game