The Crimson Tide, down by 10 in the fourth quarter, fought its way back into the game, tying things up with 24 seconds left in the fourth quarter before scoring in all four overtime periods to take the victory
AUBURN, Ala. – Trailing until the last 24-seconds of the game, the No. 3/3/2 University of Alabama football team used four overtime periods to beat Auburn, 24-22, Saturday night in Jordan-Hare Stadium. It marked the first overtime contest in the 85-game Crimson Tide-Tigers series.
John Metchie III came away with 150 receiving yards on 13 catches, including the game-winning two-point conversion in the fourth overtime. Jameson Williams followed with 43 receiving yards on two catches before being ejected on a targeting call during a second-quarter punt coverage. Brian Robinson Jr. rushed for 71 yards on 16 carries.
Bryce Young threw for 317 yards on 25-of-51 passing including two touchdowns and an interception while being sacked seven times.
Henry To’oTo’o led the Crimson Tide defense with nine tackles including six solo stops while Will Anderson Jr. recorded seven total stops and six solo tackles in the game, including three tackles for loss and a sack. Phidarian Mathis and Dallas Turner led Alabama with 1.5 sacks and 1.5 tackles for loss, respectively.
- Will Anderson Jr. recorded three tackles for loss (-15 yards) and one sack (-11) in the game against Auburn.
- The sophomore continues to lead the nation with 30.5 (-128 yards) tackles for loss and ranks second in the nation with 14.5 (-90 yards) sacks.
- Kool-Aid McKinstry recorded his first-career sack (-13 yards) in the third quarter against the Tigers.
- Josh Jobe caught the third interception of his career and his second interception this season.
- The game captains against Auburn were linebacker Will Anderson Jr., defensive lineman Phidarian Mathis and wide receiver John Metchie III.
How It Happened
- 06:50 – AU | TJ Finley connected with Kobe Hudson on a 15-yard touchdown pass to cap a four-play, 39-yard drive that last two minutes and 12 seconds.
- 11:43 – AU | Ben Patton kicked a 33-yard field goal to help Auburn go up 10-0, concluding a four-play, five-yard series.
- 11:50 – UA | Will Reichard connected on a 30-yard field goal to post Alabama’s first points in the game to end a drive that lasted seven plays and 46 yards, thanks to an interception by Josh Jobe.
- 00:24 – UA | Bryce Young found Ja’Corey Brooks for a 28-yard touchdown to cap a 12-play, 97-yard drive, tying the game with Reichard’s extra point.
- OT1 – UA | Young hit Slade Bolden with a six-yard pass in the middle of the endzone to strike first in overtime
- OT1 – AU | Finley found Landen King for a five-yard touchdown pass to close overtime No. 1
- OT2 – AU | Patton made a 49-yard field goal to open the second overtime period
- OT2 – UA | Reichard answered Auburn with a 38-yard field goal to send the game into a third overtime
- OT3 – UA | Young to John Metchie III was good for the two-point conversion to open the third overtime
- OT3 – AU | Finley found John Samuel Shenker to tie it up and send it into a fourth overtime
- OT4 – UA | After Auburn failed to convert its second two-point conversion, Young found Metchie III once again for the two-point score to win the game
Alabama will meet Georgia in the 2021 Southeastern Conference Championship Game Saturday, Dec. 4 at 3 p.m. CT on CBS.